Superfoods are foods that are packed with nutrients that provide maximum nutrient benefits in minimal calories. This is a fairly new term but has been in use a lot lately. These foods are packed with most vitamins, minerals, and are rich sources of antioxidants. Superfoods should be a part of one’s diet, more so for women since they have extensive needs. As women you go through a lot of crucial phases in a lifetime, along with the growth spurts, there are phrases like menstruation, pregnancy, motherhood, and menopause. A woman also grows into several roles like daughter, sister, wife, mother and the list goes on. These phases change a woman physically as well as mentally.
To go through these roles you need to be in the best of health. Everything streams down to your lifestyle and most importantly, your diet. Superwomen need some superfoods too, to keep them healthy and strong. Take a look at the 6 important superfoods-
- Lentils – Apart from protein, lentils are crucial for many other aspects of health. They are a good source of many vitamins and minerals including antioxidants. Along with protein, they are a rich source of fiber, which helps in regulating blood pressure and cholesterol. This makes them capable of protecting you against cardiac ailments. Lentils contain a compound called isoflavones which plays an important role in the regulation of hormones. This can help women to deal with PMS, PCOS, and menopause better.
- Chickpeas – Chickpeas like lentils are a good source of protein, they make a great replacement for meat in vegetarian meals. Apart from the protein part, chickpeas contain a compound called phytoestrogens that mimics the female sex hormone – estrogen. Thus, they help in regulating hormonal levels. This helps to reverse PCOS symptoms and regulate periods, and also helps to reduce symptoms of menopause such as hot flushes, frequent mood swings, and vaginal dryness.
3. Quinoa and millets – Quinoa has gained a lot of importance lately. You must have come across people who swear by quinoa for weight management or overall being. Quinoa is low in carbohydrates and hence helps in reducing and maintaining weight. It also helps reduce insulin resistance and PMS since it is a rich source of minerals like manganese, copper, iron, phosphorus, and protein. Millets like ragi, jowar, bajra, etc. are comparatively richer in fiber which also helps in maintaining weight and insulin resistance.
4. Nuts and seeds – Nuts and seeds are a great source of healthy fats – omega-3 fatty acids. They are also rich sources of many vitamins and minerals like magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, and lignans. Nuts such as almonds and walnuts and seeds like sunflower, sesame, pumpkin, and flaxseeds play a crucial role in regulating cholesterol and blood pressure and thus prevent heart diseases. They are also crucial for mental health as they help fight against anxiety and stress which helps you with better mental health and reduces the symptoms of PMS, PCOS, and menopause owing to lignans.
5. Berries -You must have seen a lot of women’s health products that are made with berries. Ever wondered why? Apart from the amazing taste, berries are a rich source of antioxidants, vitamin C, and folic acid. Antioxidants help in reducing the effect of oxidation and protect the body against cell damage and aging. They also protect you from heart ailments. Since they are a rich source of vitamin C and folic acid, they also help reduce the risk of urinary tract infections in women. So stock up on berries and include them in your smoothies, desserts, and snack on them!
6. Spinach – After Popeye , all of us knew just how important spinach is to be strong and healthy. The reason behind that is, spinach is a rich source of vitamin K, magnesium, calcium, and folate. The combination of these nutrients is crucial for pre and post-natal care in women. Spinach helps boost immunity and slows down muscle deterioration owing to the vitamins and minerals in it. It is also a great source of iron that helps prevent anemia.
It is crucial to pay attention to your diet and make sure you are meeting the requirements of all nutrients for your health and wellbeing. If you are not able to manage your diet, or if you have certain nutritional deficiencies, you should opt for supplements and make sure you nourish your body well. To stand up to all the roles and to live through all the phases of life, your body needs to be nourished. While you are out there doing your regular superwoman stuff, we at andMe have your back with our women’s multivitamin capsules. These are packed with 18+ essential nutrients from over 30 herbs and ayurvedic ingredients. Our products are clean, they are free of any harmful chemical additives or preservatives. So get your multivitamin capsules today!
SHOP THE STORY