Let’s begin with knowing BIOTIN…
Biotin is a water-soluble vitamin which comes under vitamin-B family and it’s named as B7.
“BIOTIN” word is derived from Greek word “BIOTOS”, which means life giving. It is Sulphur containing vitamin complex which mainly participates in carboxylation reaction.
What is carboxylation reaction?
A chemical reaction in which a carboxylic acid group is formed by treating substrate with carbon dioxide. Pyruvate carboxylase enzyme is mainly involved this reaction along with ATP and biotin.
Basically, biotin convert carbohydrates, fats, proteins present in the food you take to energy.
What are vitamins?
Vitamins are the essential ingredient needed by the body to carry out various metabolic functions. They are required in very less quantity by body. Few vitamins are atypical, meaning synthesized by body itself; some are formed by flora of gut and some has to be taken in diet.
How Biotin is formed?
It is formed by flora of gut; all good microorganisms in the gastrointestinal tract. If you are taking a lot of antibiotics because of any chronic disease, then the gut florae get suppressed resulting in declining of B7 levels in body.
This may cause crisis in the levels and may be seen as certain deficiencies in the body like split ended hairs or thinning of hair and hair loss, loss of appetite and nausea, skin inflammation accompanying red rashes around eyes, nose, mouth.
These symptoms appear shows decline in the B7 level and the biggest problem of this vitamin is – “It is not being stored inside the body”, therefore consumption of balanced diet enriched with vitamins is often recommended.
What are the causes of hair loss?
There are many factors responsible for hair loss or poor hair texture.
- The main factor is genetic disorder, which is unavoidable and has to appear sooner or later.
- Auto immune disorders like thyroid dysfunction, hormonal imbalance, improper diet and the very common factor is stress.
- Hair loss can also be a side effect of medicines you are taking for any sickness that you have
- Hair health also depends on the way you care your hair and protect from pollution, cleaning and nourishing your hair by proper schedule for oiling and shampooing your hair!!!
How does biotin help in hair nourishment?
- Biotin molecules stimulates the growth rate of hair follicle, this solves the problem of alopecia and reduces hair fall.
- Also, it stimulates keratin production in hair. Thus, boosting hair nourishment.
- Women faces a lot of hormonal changes during her life phases, so women have fragile body and needs more care as compared to men.
- Pregnant women need slightly more biotin for maintaining hair and nail growth.
- But do consult your dietician for correct recommended daily allowance.
What all foods has biotin?
- Whole grains and cereals
- Soya beans
- Egg yolk
- Meats, specifically liver