Thyroid, one of the medical terms we hear a lot from people around us. This is because thyroid problem is one of the most common illnesses in the world.
What exactly is thyroid and why does affect our body so much?
The thyroid is a small butterfly shaped gland, located in the front of the neck, wrapped around the windpipe (trachea). The thyroid makes hormones that help control many vital functions of your body. The most important job of the thyroid gland is to control thyroid hormones which determine our metabolism.
Metabolism is a process where the food you take into your body is transformed into energy. This energy is used throughout your entire body to keep many of your body’s systems working correctly. When your thyroid works properly, it will maintain the right amount of hormones to keep your metabolism working at the right rate. Due to its commonality among people, thyroid happens to be one such disorder for which there are many solutions available in the market.
Understanding thyroid medication
There are several ways to treat thyroid, not only by changing the composition of the medicines but by also changing the intent of the medicine. This helps provide uniquely catered treatment to each individual as the per their body type. The course of treatment/ medication is also determined on the basis of which condition of thyroid one has i.e. hypothyroid (lack of production of hormones), hyperthyroid (over production of hormones) or thyroid cancer.
The Different thyroid medicines available in Indian market
Hypothyroidism: The main objective of hypothyroid medications is to provide thyroid hormone replacement to counter for the lack of production of said hormones by one’s body.
The four main goals of thyroid hormone replacement medication are:
- Alleviate symptoms of hypothyroidism
- Normalize the thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) level
- Reduce the size of an enlarged thyroid (goiter) if present
- Avoid overtreatment (becoming hyperthyroid)
Some common thyroid medication names for hypothyroid:
- Natural Dessicated Thyroid (NDT)
Hypothyroid treatment in Ayurveda:
- Ashwagandha- adaptogen herb which controls stress levels.
- Old Rice
- Green gram
- Black gram
- Sugar juice
Hyperthyroidism: The treatment of hyperthyroidism is generally more complex than hypothyroidism as one is required to curb the production of hormones, requiring one or more of the following treatments:
- Anti-thyroid drug
- Radioactive iodine (RAI)
- Surgery to remove the gland (thyroidectomy)
There are only two medicines in the market currently, which help with hyperthyroidism
- Tapazole (methimazole)
- Propylthiouracil (PTU)
- Beta-Blockers (not used to treat hyperthyroid, but can help in minimising symptoms)
Hyperthyroid being harder to treat, it is more so important to rely on Ayurvedic medicine for this thyroid. Here’s a list of important ingredients in Ayurveda which will aid in inhibiting the production of thyroid hormones.
- Arogyavardhini Vati
- Chitrakadi Vati
Thyroid medication side effects of allopathy
As with most medicines, thyroid medications too come with their own set of side effects. Most common side effects that may be experienced are:
- Hair loss
- Excessive sweating
- Sensitivity to heat
- Mental stress/ mood changes
- Shortness of breath
- Shaking (tremors)
Apart from this, a well-known fact remains that once you start thyroid medication, there is a high possibility that you will have to stay on it for the rest of your life. This is usually not advisable for the body in the long run. Thyroid treatment in Ayurveda is hence a better, easier and a more efficient option as the treatment period is usually limited and they have little to no side effects. But we understand that it is not easy to find all these Ayurvedic herbs individually and incorporate them in your day to day life, that’s why &Me has come up with an easy one stop shop solution for all your thyroid treatment needs, based on the philosophies of Ayurveda.
&Me ThyroDiet, Thyroid Tea provides the right nutrition to help Thyroid gland naturally produce required levels of T3/T4 (thyroid hormones) in the body. It also helps in weight loss.
&Me ThyroDiet tea has a unique nutritional formula. It has:
(1) Tyrosine and Iodine, when consumed, work together to produce T3 (1T + 3I) and T4 (1T+4I), enabling the thyroid gland to balance T3/T4 levels in the body
(2) Guggulu and Kachnar, Ayurvedic herbs, help increase absorption of Iodine in the body, for production of T3 and T4. Today’s stress and lifestyle changes these days have reduced the body’s ability to absorb available nutrition.
(3) 15 other ingredients that help manage symptoms of thyroid including improved metabolism, weight loss and energy. Natural. No side effects.
Shop This Story